Bounti-fall Snack Mix Recipe
Adapted by Krista Goncalves, BSc., CHN, RNC
Makes about 3 cups
- 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 Tbs olive oil or 1.5 Tbs coconut oil divided
- 2 tsp spice blend (curry, masala, mild chili powder – divided)
- Other options: try cinnamon, ginger, cloves, garlic, paprika or rosemary
- Pink or sea salt & fresh ground black pepper
- 1 ¾ cups raw, unshelled pumpkin seeds (cleaned/drained - not patted dry) or 1 cup raw shelled pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries, dried cherries, raisins, or a mix of dried fruit (organic & unsulphured is preferable)
- 3/4 cup raw/roasted, unsalted pistachios, almonds or cashews
Heat the oven to 400 F. Dry the chickpeas thoroughly by spreading them on a large plate and patting them dry with kitchen towels. Transfer to a bowl, then toss with 1 Tb oil, 1 tsp of the spice blend, if using, and salt and pepper to taste. Once the chickpeas are evenly coated, transfer them to a baking sheet and spread them in a single layer. Bake on middle rack until golden and crispy, 25-35 mins, shaking the tray to toss after the first 15 minutes. Remove the baking sheet from oven and transfer chickpeas to a serving bowl.
Reduce the oven to 300 F. Arrange pumpkin seeds in a single layer on the sheet pan - bake on middle rack for 10 mins. After pumpkin seeds have baked, in a large skillet over medium, heat the remaining Tb oil. Reduce the heat to medium-low, add pumpkins seeds and cook, stirring, for 7-10 mins. Add the remaining tsp of spice blend, if using, and salt and pepper to taste. Continue to cook, stirring, until the pumpkin seeds are golden and crispy, another 3-5 mins. Transfer seeds to the serving bowl and add cranberries + pistachios and toss.
Nutrition (per 1/4 cup serving): 305 calories, 20g fat (mostly good fats!), 21g carbs (4g fibre, 7g sugar), 14g protein, 335mg sodium, 0g cholesterol.